At times when you do not have an opportunity to buy specialized ferret food, you can settle for the best cat food for ferrets.
Out of all kinds of pet food, this is the one that suits ferrets the most.
When making a decision about what to feed your pet it would be good to know the basic facts about ferret diet.
Now, let’s see what kinds of cat food might be suitable for your ferret.
Table of Contents
- Best Cat Food for Ferrets in 2019
- 1. Wellness CORE Natural Grain Free Dry Cat Food – A Protein-Rich Cat Food Suitable for Ferrets
- 2. Orijen Dry Cat and Kitten Food – A New Poultry-Based Formula for Meat-Eaters
- 3. PETCUREAN 152332 Go Fit and Free – A Jumbo Pack of Chicken, Turkey and Duck Mix
- 4. Wysong Dream Treats For Dogs/Cats/Ferrets – All-Natural Freeze-Dried Treats
- What kind of cat food can I feed my ferret? Can ferrets eat wet cat food?
- How to Find the Best Cat Food for Ferrets – A Buyer’s Guide
Best Cat Food for Ferrets in 2019
|#1. WELLNESS CORE||Editor’s Choice|
Read Our Review
|#2. Orijen Dry|
Read Our Review
|#3. Petcurean Go|
Read Our Review
Read Our Review
1. Wellness CORE Natural Grain Free Dry Cat Food – A Protein-Rich Cat Food Suitable for Ferrets
The Wellness Core cat food can be good for ferrets because it does not contain grains. Grains (especially corn) are highly undesirable in a ferret diet. This cat food contains not less than 45% of proteins and not less than 18% of fat. Carbohydrate content is less than 3%, which is quite acceptable.
As you can see, the ingredients are completely permissible for feeding ferrets.
2. Orijen Dry Cat and Kitten Food – A New Poultry-Based Formula for Meat-Eaters
Meat (chicken and turkey), fish and eggs constitute 90 percent of the formula. Fiber content is minimal, while grains and potatoes are excluded from the formula completely.
3. PETCUREAN 152332 Go Fit and Free – A Jumbo Pack of Chicken, Turkey and Duck Mix
However, this food contains peas, some vegetables, and fruits, which is fine for cats but might be not good for ferrets if consumed in large quantities and very often.
But the big plus is that according to the guaranteed analysis, the fiber content is quite low – no more than 1.6%.
4. Wysong Dream Treats For Dogs/Cats/Ferrets – All-Natural Freeze-Dried Treats
The Wysong Dream treats are suitable for cats, dogs and ferrets. These are freeze-dried treats, which contain 46% of animal-based protein, including chicken meat, organs and bones. The product also contains some fruits and vegetables, such as blueberries, broccoli, plums, carrots, etc.
The total amount of crude fiber does not exceed 0.5%, which is quite healthy for ferrets. Besides, this is a treat, not a basic food, so the fact that it contains fruits, seeds and vegetables should not cause too much concern.
In any case, specialized ferret food is always beneficial for your pet. Today the market of specialized pet food can offer high-quality dry kibbles and treats for ferrets.
For instance, you can try Wysong Ferret Epigen 90 – a high-protein, starch- and grain-free ferret food with probiotics, vitamins, minerals and other essential nutrition supplements.
Find here and now for your pet best ferret food.
What kind of cat food can I feed my ferret? Can ferrets eat wet cat food?
If you decide to feed your ferret cat food, you should choose high-quality kiddle food. Wet cat food is not good for them. First of all, it does not have a proper macronutrient ratio to satisfy your ferret’s dietary needs. Besides, ferrets need constant access to food throughout a day and wet food might do bad very quickly if left unrefrigerated. Finally, wet cat food is rather soft and cannot provide sufficient exercise for ferrets’ teeth.
Can ferrets eat kitten food?
Kitten food is even better for ferrets than cat food. The former usually contains more proteins and less carbohydrates. Needless to say, you should choose only high-quality specialized kitten food.
Can ferrets eat dog food?
How to Find the Best Cat Food for Ferrets – A Buyer’s Guide
Can ferrets eat cat food? Is cat food good for ferrets?
Ferrets were domesticated not long ago and their eating habits haven’t changed since. Both wild and pet ferrets are strict carnivores. Their daily nutrition consists mostly of proteins and fat with very little carbohydrates and fibers. Cats have a different digestive system and their food can contain plant-based products. High-quality cat food is higher in proteins, so you can feed your ferret such food occasionally or mix it with specialized ferret food or raw meat. You should always read nutrition information on a package very carefully and make sure that cat food contains at least 36% of proteins and no more than 3% of fibers.
Feeding ferrets cat food on a regular basis is not recommended but can be acceptable in some cases. When buying cat food for a pet ferret, it is important to consider the following choice criteria:
- Look for the proper macronutrient ratio. Both cats and ferrets are carnivores, but cat diet has evolved in such a way that they can consume fruits, vegetables, and seeds. The same can hardly be said about ferrets. Although some quantities of plant-based food can be present in their daily rations, the core of their diet should consist of animal proteins. So if you buy cat food for a ferret, you should adhere to the following nutrition content: no less than 36% of proteins, no less than 18% of fat and no more than 3% of fibers.
- Make sure it is dry kibble food. Wet cat food is ill-fitted for ferrets, so you should stick to dry food. You can also indulge your ferret with occasional freeze-dried treats that are suitable for cats and ferrets.
Conclusion and Recommendations
“Can I feed my ferret cat food?” is one of the most common questions among new ferret owners. Hopefully, this article has made the answer clear to you. By following these simple rules you can ensure that your ferrets stay healthy even if you are temporarily unable to provide them with specialized ferret food.