Or how to make a living of your pet ferret comfortable
Every ferret owner wishes to provide his pet with the most comfortable living conditions. Litter is one of the important constituents of a happy ferret existence, so it is necessary to choose the best litter for ferrets. It plays a very important role not only in eliminating the odor but also in the safety of the pet. The animal does not require much bedding but its quality plays a very significant role. Good litter for ferrets is made from recycled paper, corn and wheat, pine or sawdust. Let’s look through 5 best examples of ferret litter to find the most suitable bedding for these cute pets. In addition, you will get answers to the most frequently asked questions concerning ferret bedding and learn how to make their living in your home more comfortable and safer.
|Marshall Ferret Litter|
|10, 18 and 50 pounds||Recycled paper||Yes|
|Fresh News Paper Small Animal Litter (Editor’s Choice)||10 Lt||Recycled paper||Yes|
|Purina Yesterday's News Unscented Paper Cat Litter||13.2, 26.4, 30 and 5 Lb||Recycled paper||Yes|
|Kaytee Small Animal Potty Training Litter||8 and 16 pounds||Bentonite||Yes|
|Carefresh Complete Natural Paper Bedding for Small Animals||50 Lt / 8.5 pounds||Recycled paper||Yes|
- 1 1. Marshall Ferret Litter – the best ferret litter for odor control
- 2 2. Fresh News Paper Small Animal Litter – the best odor control litter
- 3 3. Purina Yesterday’s News Unscented Paper Cat Litter – the best cat litter for ferrets
- 4 4. Kaytee Small Animal Potty Training Litter – the best ferret litter substitute for potty training
- 5 5. Carefresh Complete Natural Paper Bedding for Small Animals – the best bedding for ferrets
- 6 What Kind Of Litter Do You Use For Ferrets?
- 7 How To Train Your Ferret To Use The Litter Box?
- 8 Can I Use Cat Litter For My Ferret?
- 9 How To Choose Ferret Litter
1. Marshall Ferret Litter – the best ferret litter for odor control
It is not easy to choose a quality ferret cage bedding but this product from Marshall will exceed your expectations. This is a premium litter for ferrets that is produced in the bags of 10, 18 and 50 pounds.
The ferret litter is made from natural paper fibers to cover the bottom of the cage where a ferret lives. In addition, there are special odor control ingredients added for neutralizing unpleasant smells.
The litter for ferrets is safe and does not provoke allergies. Being one of the best examples of ferret litter it does not contain dust to prevent any problems with the pet respiratory system.
This bedding is safe for the environment being fully recyclable and biodegradable. It has excellent absorbency and will make it easier to cope with litter training ferrets.
2. Fresh News Paper Small Animal Litter – the best odor control litter
Do ferrets need bedding? Undoubtedly, they need a quality litter to cover their cage bottom. This is a small litter for ferrets and other home pets are one of the best offered in the market. The litter for ferrets is made from recycled biodegradable paper@ that decreases the amount of waste and saves trees. It features Ammonia Locker Technology for eliminating an unpleasant odor and make the ferret habitat look tidy and feel fresh.
Manufactured in the USA the bedding contains baking soda in combination with odor locking pellets to guarantee excellent absorbency without unpleasant smells. The ferret litter is absolutely dust-free and non-allergenic as well.
3. Purina Yesterday’s News Unscented Paper Cat Litter – the best cat litter for ferrets
There is hardly any better bedding than this Purina ferret litter that was originally created for cats. The cat litter for ferrets is made from eco-friendly recyclable paper. It is very gentle for the cat and ferret paws and has no small particles to fall off the ferret litter pan.The exclusive bedding formula neutralizes a bad odor and is absolutely free of dust. It does not include any additional fragrance or chemicals making it safe for pets.
This litter for ferrets is non-clumping and 3-times more absorbent than traditional clay litter. It is lightweight and recommended even for newborn pets.
4. Kaytee Small Animal Potty Training Litter – the best ferret litter substitute for potty training
As it is understandable from the name it is not necessary to look for ways how to potty train a ferret with this litter. It is a unique sanitary solution made from 100% bentonite – a clay formed from volcanic ash. The last one is safe natural material based on minerals and has excellent absorbency up to 10 its weight. Critter litter for ferrets absorbs urine on contact and neutralizes its odor.This ferret litter allows training your pet to use a pan and decrease the number of cage cleanups by 30%. The bedding is also low in dust.
The litter for ferrets is sold in the packs of 8 and 16 pounds and has a resealable for comfortable storage.
5. Carefresh Complete Natural Paper Bedding for Small Animals – the best bedding for ferrets
The first thing that differs it from other pellets is color. The bedding is purely white and is sold in the bag that includes 50 Lt of dry litter.Unlike wood stove pellets for ferret litter, it is made from natural reclaimed paper fibers that are 3 times more absorbent. Another benefit of this ferret litter is absolutely dust-free cleaning. The bedding does not fall apart under the influence of moisture and does not stick to the habitat. But the feature that makes this litter for ferrets outstanding is a unique odor stop formula that allows preventing the smell for up to 10 days. It suppresses ammonia odor in a litter to remain clean and fresh within a long period of time.
What Kind Of Litter Do You Use For Ferrets?
Not every litter for ferrets is absolutely safe for pets. That is the reason to prefer ferret litter of three main types:
- Litter made from recycled paper;
- Natural clumping bedding;
- Bentonite litter.
The most affordable and reasonable choice is bedding made from natural paper fibers that are compressed into pellets. They have a nice absorbency and a better odor control. Such pellets are heavy enough to remain in the litter pan or cage bottom and are dust-free. Clumping litter can be used only when it is made from corn or wheat. However, it is more expensive and can be mixed by a pet with some tasty snacks. Bentonite bedding is made from the clay formed from volcanic ash. It is very absorbent and safe for ferrets but not very cheap as well.
You should avoid using clay litter as it gets sticky, wood shavings and silica-based bedding as they have a smell that can damage respiratory system of ferrets, and corncob litter for being moldy and dusty.
How To Train Your Ferret To Use The Litter Box?
There are several important things to consider when you look for a way how to litter train a ferret.
- Choose a comfortable habitat for a ferret and analyze what corner is suitable for putting a litter pan. It should be not the one used by a ferret for eating. Observe the behavior of the pet and use that corner where it peeps most often.
- Purchase a litter pan.
- Fill the pan with 1.5 – 2 inches of ferret litter. Obtain two examples of bedding to separate the areas of living and toilet.
- Put feces and urine in the litter pan for a scent to encourage pets to use this area regularly.
- Clean the pan from solid waste every day and change the ferret litter at least once a week.
- Praise the ferret each time when it uses a litter pan right.
- Accidents outside the pan should be cleaned immediately not to encourage a pet to use this area again.
Can I Use Cat Litter For My Ferret?
Cat litter can be of different types and not all of them can be used for ferrets. If to analyze all the cat litter, the most suitable litter for ferrets is one made from recycled paper. It is one of the safest examples of cat litter for ferrets as the last ones like snorkeling through the litter with their noses. Dusty bedding can get into their respiratory system and cause health issues. Paper litter is dust-free, has good absorbency and is usually made in the form of quite big pellets that do not fall off the litter pan when a ferret gets out of it.
Dusty clumping or clay litters for cats are forbidden for ferrets. It can lead not only to breathing problems but also impacted anal area. Ferrets are lower than cats and their rectum can contact with the litter that may stick to the anal area and results in infections or blockages.
Wood shavings used for cat bedding is dangerous for ferrets as they contain essential oils that can be inhaled by pets and cause lungs or esophagus problems.
How To Choose Ferret Litter
- The litter pack should indicate that this litter is produced for ferrets. It can be only ferreted litter or one used for different small pets.
- The bedding should not be used after the expiration date.
- Buy litter that is absolutely dust-free.
- It is nice if the ferret litter has an odor control.
- Avoid fragrant litter or one with natural oils or chemicals to prevent health problems.
- Stop using ferret litter if the pet starts eating it.
- To find the best ferret litter, try several examples to see which one is preferred by the pet the most.
The Best Litter For Ferrets Conclusions And Recommendations
Ferrets are very popular animals chosen by people for the role of a home pet. They are cute and smart but need to be taken care of as any other creature. It means that they require not only special food but also many other things to make their life with people comfortable. Ferret litter is among these things too. Choose the best litter for ferrets from top rated manufacturers to guarantee your pet a happy and safe life.